Planning Portal

Belfast Metropolitan Area Plan 2015
District Proposals: Ballyclare Urban Environment

Related Maps

Planning Service recommends Adobe Reader v8 Opens link in a new browser window. or higher to view maps in pdf format.

Areas of Townscape Character

The following Area of Townscape Character (ATC) is designated in Ballyclare as identified on Map No. 3a – Ballyclare, Map No. 3f – Ballyclare Town Centre and on clarification Map No. 3b – Ballyclare Area of Townscape Character.
Policy for the control of development within the ATC is contained in Policy UE 3 in Part 3, Volume 1 of the Plan.
Designation BR 15 Area of Townscape Character Ballyclare
An Area of Townscape Character is designated in Ballyclare as identified on Map No. 3a – Ballyclare, Map No. 3f – Ballyclare Town Centre and on clarification Map No. 3b – Ballyclare Area of Townscape Character.
Key features of the area which will be taken into account when assessing development proposals are as follows: -
  • The pre Victorian properties along Main Street including the Old Presbyterian Church and Session House (1646);
  • The early nineteenth century Ollar Lodge;
  • The disused station building, engine sheds and stationmaster’s house (1877);
  • The Italianate Bank (1863) at the Doagh Road;
  • The Town Hall (1877), formerly the market house, at Market Square;
  • The north-south linear pattern of Ballyclare’s informal streetscape, which creates a variety of views and vistas, and the long curving layout of Main Street as it extends from the south side of the Six-Mile Water and over the bridge to Market Square;
  • The 1880/90s uniform terraced housing found to the south of Main Street  at the "Foot of the Town" and to the north of Market Square on the Rashee, Ballyeaston and Ballycor Roads; and
  • The grand dwellings located along Coronation Terrace in Hillhead Road and on nearby Green Road and Ballynure Road.
All proposals will be assessed against key design criteria 4A, 5B as contained in Policy UE 3 in Part 3, Volume 1 of the Plan (See Newtownabbey District Proposals Appendix 2).
During the eighteenth century Ballyclare was the principal market town in the area. With its water powered beetling, corn and paper mills it grew quickly in the nineteenth century to become an important centre for manufacturing including paper making, bleaching, dyeing and finishing. The pace of development increased with the arrival of the railway in the 1870s.
A sensitive approach to new replacement buildings, and to re-use and alteration of the existing buildings is required to avoid fragmentation of the Towns unique historical and architectural character.
Part of Ballyclare Area of Townscape Character lies within the Ballyclare Town Centre boundary and is identified on Map No. 3f – Ballyclare Town Centre (See Map No. 3b – Ballyclare Area of Townscape Character for clarification).
Previous Next
Get Adobe Reader software (link opens in a new browser window)