Belfast Metropolitan Area Plan
Plan Area: Belfast City, Carrickfergus Borough, Castlereagh Borough, Lisburn City, Newtownabbey Borough and North Down Borough Council Areas
Date: 9 September 2014
Date: 9 September 2014
Notice is hereby given that the Department of the Environment, under the provisions of Part III of the Planning (NI) Order 1991, has adopted the Belfast Metropolitan Area Plan to the extent approved and endorsed in The Belfast Metropolitan Area Plan Adoption Statement 2014. The Plan, as adopted, became operative on 9 September 2014.
The Department for Regional Development has determined, in accordance with Article 28(7) of the Planning (Amendment) (Northern Ireland) Order 2003, that the Belfast Metropolitan Area Plan is in general conformity with the Regional Development Strategy for Northern Ireland 2035.
The Department has published a final version of the Belfast Metropolitan Area Plan, incorporating the amendments outlined in the Adoption Statement.
|In the case of any contradiction between the Development Plan published on paper and the digital version of the Development Plan presented on this Website, the provisions of the Development Plan published on paper will prevail.|
Download the Statutory Plan
- Volume 1 - Plan Strategy and Framework ( 631 KB)
- Volume 2 - Belfast District Proposals ( 10608 KB)
- Volume 3 - Lisburn District Proposals ( 7340 KB)
- Volume 4 - Carrickfergus District Proposals ( 1800 KB)
- Volume 5 - Castlereagh District Proposals ( 3013 KB)
- Volume 6 - Newtownabbey District Proposals ( 2784 KB)
- Volume 7 - North Down District Proposals ( 5208 KB)
Please refer to the Map Library for the relevant Maps
Download the Adoption Statement
Download the Planning Appeals Commission Reports
- Report on the Strategic Plan Framework ( 829 KB)
- Report on Belfast Council Area ( 5469 KB)
- Report on Lisburn Council Area ( 6369 KB)
- Report on Carrickfergus Council Area ( 178 KB)
- Report on Castlereagh Council Area ( 905 KB)
- Report on Newtownabbey Council Area ( 4600 KB)
- Report on North Down Council Area ( 1044 KB)
- Report on the Lagan Valley Regional Park ( 1931 KB)
- Amendment to PAC Report on Carrickfergus Borough Council Area ( 44 KB) (Greenisland Zoning GD 05/11)
Download the Habitats Regulations Assessment Report
Download the Equality Impact Assessment
Copies of the Plan
Hard copies of the Plan are available for public inspection in each of the relevant Area Planning Offices:
- Belfast Area Planning Office;
- Downpatrick Area Planning Office; and
- Ballymena Area Planning Office
and the following Council Offices:
- Belfast City Council - The City Hall, Belfast;
- Lisburn City Council, Lagan Valley Island, The Island, Lisburn;
- Carrickfergus Borough Council, Museum & Civic Centre, 11 Antrim Street, Carrickfergus;
- Castlereagh Borough Council, Civic & Administrative Offices, 1 Bradford Court, Upper Galwally;
- Newtownabbey Borough Council, Mossley Mill, Carnmoney Road North, Newtownabbey; and
- North Down Borough Council, Town Hall, The Castle, Bangor.
Complementary DVDs containing the adopted Plan, including maps and Adoption Statement will be available for distribution in 3-4 weeks.
Please address any requests and any queries regarding the Plan through the Belfast Area Planning Office mailbox: Belfast.firstname.lastname@example.org.