Ards and Down Area Plan 2015
Down District: Killyleagh (Page 1 of 2)
Killyleagh is situated approximately 10 kilometres north east of Downpatrick on the main Comber Road. The village sits on the western shores of Strangford Lough within an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty.
Part of Killyleagh Castle dates from the 15th century, and the present village form was laid out by 1625. The castle overlooks the town towards the harbour and the parish church and, with its demesne grounds and mature planting, forms a distinctive setting to the west of the village. A Conservation Area was designated in 1993 to encompass the original 17th century settlement, harbour area and Dibney River valley.
Prominent lands west of Shrigley Road and at Coily Hill to the north west and between Comber Road and Holm Bay to the north east of the village also provide distinctive landscape settings as identified in the Northern Ireland Landscape Character Assessment.
During the 17th and 18th centuries, Killyleagh prospered with the growth of the port and textile manufacture and with the establishment Killyleagh of Killyleagh and Shrigley mills. An economic downturn came with the closure of Shrigley mill in 1931 and later Killyleagh Yarns in 1997. A new housing development has been constructed on the former Killyleagh Mill site since the commencement of the preparation of the Plan.
Today the village functions as a local service centre, commuter settlement and has also become an important yachting centre for the surrounding area. It has a range of shops and offices serving the surrounding rural area.
Recently, private sector development has taken place to the south and south west of the town along the Downpatrick Road and Shore Road. Another new private development has been completed along Bridge Street in the east of the village. The public sector has also developed housing off the Downpatrick Road and to north of the town on the Comber Road.
Killyleagh Waste Water Treatment Works has been upgraded to serve Killyleagh, Shrigley and the pumped flow from Crossgar.
|Proposal KLH 01 Settlement Limit|
|A Settlement Limit is designated in accordance with Policy SETT 1 in Volume 1 of the Plan and as indicated on Map No. 3/014a, Killyleagh Settlement Map.|
The designated Settlement Limit includes parcels of housing land included within the previous limit, some with the benefit of planning permission and some now developed or under construction since the commencement of the preparation of the Plan.
Development is restricted to the north, south and west due to the topographical constraints and the visual amenity of surrounding landscapes, which provide a setting to Killyleagh particularly when viewed from Strangford Lough. It is also important to maintain the physical and visual separation of Killyleagh and Shrigley to the north west and the shoreline setting of the village.
|HPA 1 Lands west of Comber Road|
|HPA 2 Lands to south of 8 Downpatrick Road and to rear of Strangford View|
|HPA 3 Lands off Inishmore and adjoining the Anchorage|
|HPA 4 Lands south of the Anchorage|
In accordance with DRD Roads Service requirements, a maximum of 50 dwellings, including existing housing development, can be accessed off Shore Road via The Anchorage.
Planning applications within the Housing Policy Areas will also be processed in accordance with the requirements of all prevailing planning policy.