- RBS - Radio Base Station
- RDS - Regional Development Strategy
- RPA - Review of Public Administration
- RSPB - Royal Society for the Protection of Birds
- RTS - Regional Transportation Strategy
- RSTN - TP Regional Strategic Transport Network Transport Plan
- Ramsar Convention International - Convention on the protection of wetlands.
- Rebuttal Statements - Statement from the Department responding to objections to a draft Area Plan.
- Recovery - The reclamation, collection and separation of waste materials from the waste stream.
- Recycling - The recovery and re-use of materials from the waste stream.
- Regeneration - The process of improving housing conditions or dereliction within an area (including NIHE estates) using a variety of approaches including Redevelopment, Estate Strategies, Housing Renovation Grants, and the encouragement of the private sector.
- Re-letting - The process of allocating tenancies of vacant social existing properties to applicants on the Common Waiting Lis.
- Reserved Matters - Issues still to be addressed between receipt of Outline and Full planning permission.
- Re-use - The repeated utilisation of an item/material for its original (or other) purpose.
- River basin - See Catchment
- Run-off - that proportion of rainfall which is not absorbed into the ground and finds its way into watercourses, eventually flowing to the sea.