- LEDU - Local Enterprise Development Unit
- LFA - Less Favoured Area
- LLPA - Local Landscape Policy Area
- LOTS - Living over the Shop Project
- Landfill Gas - A gas produced by the decomposition of biodegradable waste. It consists primarily of a mixture of methane and carbon dioxide.
- Land Improvement - The deposition of inert waste on land for the purposes of:
- improving agricultural land, for example where steep gradients are reduced and the land re-graded with an adequate surface layer of topsoil;or
- land reclamation for necessary development, or
- preparing other land for necessary development, or
- landscaping, screening or re-grading other land.
- Landfill Site - The controlled deposit of waste to land generally inolving the infilling of voids following mineral extraction.
- Landraising - Involves the deposit of waste above ground, e.g. in naturally occurring depressions or as part of reclamation schemes.
- Landspreading - The application of waste or sludges to the land and thereby Facilitating their degradation and incorporation into the top layer of soil. Fertiliser is usually added to assist aerobic breakdown.
- Leachate - Liquid that seeps through a landfill site and by so doing extracts substances from the deposited waste.
- Local Housing Area - A geographical area comprising one or more Common Landlord Areas which represents, in the opinion of the Area Planner and District Managers, a homogeneous area which represents a clearly defined social housing market. LHA’s have relatively little movement out to or in from other LHA’s.