The Planning (Northern Ireland) Order 1991
The Planning (Northern Ireland) Order 1991 ("the 1991 Order") requires the Department to formulate and co-ordinate policy for securing the orderly and consistent development of land and the planning of that development.
- 1991/1220 (N.I.11) Planning (Northern Ireland) Order 1991 (N.I.11)*
The Department's main functions under the 1991 Order are the preparation of planning policy and development plans, controlling development through planning permission and consent procedures and taking enforcement action against breaches of planning control. These functions were extended by the Planning (Amendment) (Northern Ireland) Order 2003 and the Planning Reform (Northern Ireland) Order 2006. Please note however, that a number of Articles in the 2006 Order have yet to be brought into operation.
The 1991 Order has most recently been amended by the following pieces of legislation:
- SR 2010/64 The Planning (Management of Waste from Extractive Industries) Regulations (Northern Ireland) 2010
- 2006/1252 (N.I.7) Planning Reform (Northern Ireland) Order 2006
- SR 2006/276 The Planning (Electronic Communications) Order (Northern Ireland) 2006
- SR 2003/430 (N.I.8) The Planning (Amendment) (Northern Ireland) Order 2003
- 2003 Chapter 21 Communications Act 2003